Peng Zhao

Peng Zhao

Visiting Assistant Professor

Phone Number: 402.826.2161
Department: Economics
Email: [email protected]
Primary Campus: Crete

Dr. Peng Zhao is a Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics in the College of Business. He earned his Ph.D. and M.A. in Economics from the University of California in 2020, and his M.S. from Yale in 2013. He joined Doane University in 2023 and primarily teaches classes for the Economics programs. His current research interests lie in urban economics and applied econometrics, with a focus on the housing market.

Education
Ph.D (Economics), University of California, Riverside, 2020
M.S. (Engineering and Applied Science), Yale University, 2013
B.S. (Electrical Engineering), University of Pittsburgh, 2012

Courses
Macroeconomics & Literacy (ECO 203)
Statistics for Business and Economics (ECO 215)
Econometrics (ECO 340)

Teaching Experience
Doane University
Pacific Lutheran University

Professional Accolades
Dean's Distinguished Fellowship, University of California, Riverside, 2015 - 2020
Teaching Fellow, Yale University, New Haven, 2012, 2013

Professional Highlights
Working Papers:
The Natural Rate of Housing Structure Depreciation
Towards An Operational Filtering Model of The Housing Market (with Richard Arnott)
Solving for Equilibrium in Housing Filtering Model

How did you become interested in teaching?
Teaching is a passion for me, a means to pay forward the inspiration and support I've received. This passion was ignited during my college years while I served as a peer tutor. Throughout and following my graduate school education, and my experience in college teaching, teaching has become not only a fulfilling journey in sharing knowledge but also a rewarding experience. It brings me joy to help students, offer advice, and witness their success.

What is one of your favorite quotes?
One of my favorite quotes is the insightful saying "Rather than giving someone a fish, it’s better to teach them how to fish." This quote emphasizes the importance of active learning. It conveys the idea that education involves not only imparting knowledge but also engaging in the process of encouraging learning by doing.

What is one piece of career advice you can offer?
Discover a career path that resonates with your passion and strengths, as it will not only bring personal satisfaction but also enhance your chances of making a meaningful impact in your career.